A Month of Indies: Sanguine Mountain by Jennifer Foxcroft Book Review

Posted by The YA Book Traveler , Monday, July 27, 2015 12:00 AM


Sanguine Mountain (Camazotz Trilogy #1)
by 


An anonymous letter shatters the world Connie thought she knew and trusted. The news that her parents aren’t really her own leaves her angry, devastated and alone. The search for the truth leads her down a dark, desolate forest road where she meets a boy in the shadows who has secrets of his own.

Rockland’s life has been ruled by an ancient curse since the day he was born. Forever labeled a misfit and a rebel, he is desperate to convince his leaders that integration with the modern world will be the salvation of their kind—not their demise.

After their worlds collide in the middle of a dark forest, Connie and Rocks strike a deal to help each other find the answers they both need—away from her lying parents and the judgmental sneers of his colony. But, can they find love on their journey to discover who they are and where they belong in the world?

My Thoughts 3.5 Stars


Sanguine Mountain was a PLEASANT surprise! I was asked to join A Month of Indies hosted by Sanovia at Creatyvebooks.com and read Sanguine Mountain written by Jennifer Foxcroft.

This was my ever first Indie book I've ever read completely. Usually Indie books don't appeal to me because I worry that they won't live up to what I want or expect out of books (proper editing, etc.). 

The Story:
It took me about 100 pages into the book to finally be hooked into the story line. But once I reached that 100 page mark, I couldn't stop! 

The story is about a girl who finds out a devastating secret that her parents had kept from her her whole life. While she was investigating she gets lost and meets some very strange people in the woods. One of them being a very tall, gorgeous, tattooed guy named Rocks (Rockland) who is more than he seems.

Connie and Rocks discover that they both need each others help and their own adventure begins.

World Building:
I actually really enjoyed the world building a lot. Like I said, it took me a while to get into the book but as it went on more and more of the world building came into play. Rocks comes from a people who over centuries has been cursed where they have become shapeshifters. They are humans but also bats. I appreciated how Foxcroft dealt with the common issue people have with shapeshifting people. How are they clothed and not naked when they become humans. Foxcroft actually does address this and I was pleased to see how she handled this.

The Romance:
Yes there is romance, which is always important to me in story lines. I'm not gonna lie! The chemistry between Connie and Rocks is sweet and hot. There is this dance club scene...

Overall:
Overall I LOVED this book. It left me DESPERATELY wanting book 2! I found the characters likable and the story-line fun and exciting. If you like bat folklore told in a new way, then pick up Sanguine Mountain. 

1 Response to "A Month of Indies: Sanguine Mountain by Jennifer Foxcroft Book Review"

Unknown Says:

I believe everyone that has read this book has found it very surprising. Such a great start to a good series. I hope more people give it a chance. This was a lovely review as always.

Post a Comment