Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo: ARC Review + Book Trailer

Posted by The YA Book Traveler , Tuesday, September 8, 2015 12:00 AM

Six of Crows (Six of Crows #1)

by Leigh Bardugo

Release date: September 29, 2015

Goodreads Summary:
Ketterdam: a bustling hub of international trade where anything can be had for the right price—and no one knows that better than criminal prodigy Kaz Brekker. Kaz is offered a chance at a deadly heist that could make him rich beyond his wildest dreams. But he can't pull it off alone...

A convict with a thirst for revenge.

A sharpshooter who can't walk away from a wager.

A runaway with a privileged past.

A spy known as the Wraith.

A Heartrender using her magic to survive the slums.

A thief with a gift for unlikely escapes.

Six dangerous outcasts. One impossible heist. Kaz's crew is the only thing that might stand between the world and destruction—if they don't kill each other first.
 


My Thoughts - 5 Stars



I was given a copy of Six of Crows by my wonderful friend Sara @thehidingspot. Thanks Sara!

I never originally planned on reading this book. However, I was given this arc by a friend and I actually got excited about it! 

I only "liked" Leigh's Grisha Trilogy. Hands down her writing is amazing but the story-line fell a bit flat for me. So I wasn't necessarily going to seek out this new series set in the same world.

BUT...it was amazing!

Why?
  • Great characters and character development.
  • An exciting story that was unpredictable to the very end.
  • Humor
  • Intense Moments
  • Unique Romances
The Story:
The story is set in the same world as The Grisha Trilogy but takes place in the city of Ketterdam on the island of Kerch. Ketterdam is a very gritty city that definitely has the "bad part of town." This part is where our main characters are living. 

Kaz is part of the Dregs gang and is given a proposition that would bring in a ton of cash! And Kaz is always motivated by money...and also a personal vendetta that is revealed throughout the book. He recruits five other member to help him in the biggest heist of his life. 

The story CONTINUALLY kept me guessing. I would think one thing was going to happen...and then NOPE, something completely different! I love books that aren't predictable!

The Characters:
To be honest, the characters probably are the best part of this book. The story-line is fairly straightforward, but each of the main characters, Kaz, Nina, Inej, Jesper, Matthias, and Wylan all are unique in their special abilities but also in personality.

Nina and Jesper are hilarious and wish they were my best friends.

Kaz and Matthias are the hotties who are also slightly (or more than slightly) terrifying at times.

Leigh does a great job weaving in backstories of all these characters that draws you in as the book progresses. 

Romance:
This book has romance but in a wonderfully unique way. It's hard to put in words without spoiling but I would say that love is a battle in this book. It's not all gushy, it's a fight. I loved that.

Overall:
Six of Crows originally was a 4.5 star rating for me, but as I've reflected over the week after reading, I've grown to love each character more and ended up changing it to 5 stars. I think Leigh's writing is masterful in execution and character development. The book leaves you longing for book 2 which is always a great way to end any book.

Book Trailer!


I had made a book trailer for this book, so take a look!

3 Response to "Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo: ARC Review + Book Trailer"

Pili Says:

I simply adored this book to pieces!! The characters are fantastic and the plot is both fun, gritty and scary and keeps you turning pages like mad!

And your book trailer is brilliant, Sarah!

Unknown Says:

Super excited to read this book! :) Great trailer, as always.

Amber Elise Says:

I've heard a LOT about the romance in this one! There doesn't really to be any Teams, just everyone loving everyone! :p

I saw a crow today, I think it's a sign.

Post a Comment